Better-For-You Muffin Recipe Formula
Use this recipe formula to make better-for-you mini muffins with all different types of fruit, veggies and nut butters!
- Yield: 24 mini muffins
Basic mini-muffin formula:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup fairlife Superkids 2% milk
- 1 cup grated vegetables (like carrots or zucchini) or 1 cup chopped fruit (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pastry flour, flaxseed, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, fairlife Superkids milk, vegetables or fruit and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients. Mix with spatula until just incorporated.
- Spray a 24 cup mini-muffin tin with cooking spray or use mini cupcake liners.
- Spoon batter evenly into each cup.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until muffins test clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove muffins from tin and cool completely.
Other mini muffin variations:
Chocolate Cherry – add 1 cup pitted cherries, chopped (can be frozen) + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder + use fairlife Superkids chocolate milk instead
Blueberry Lemon – add 1 cup frozen wild blueberries + zest from one lemon
Apple Carrot – add 1/3 cup applesauce instead of oil + 1 cup grated carrots
Vanilla Zucchini – add 1 cup grated zucchini + an extra 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter & Strawberry – add 6 tablespoons peanut butter + 1 cup chopped strawberries