Pickled Candy Cane Beets
Easy recipe for canning any type of beets – with step-by-step instructions for DIY success.
- 3 quarts beets (about 24 small or 4 pounds)
- 2 cups sugar (minus about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 sticks cinnamon (broken in 3 pieces each)
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 heaping teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon table salt (or 1 1/2 teaspoon canning salt)
- 2 1/2 cups white vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Wash beets. Boil beets until just tender. Peel the beets using rubber dishwashing gloves to avoid getting beet-stained hands.
- Combine all ingredients except beets in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Pack beets into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Ladle hot liquid over beets, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust metal lid and rings. Process pints in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving which contains detailed instructions on how to can safely.