It’s super easy to make your own sun-dried tomatoes at home either by way of the sun or your oven. Use this dehydration method for just about any fruit.
- 5 pounds of small meaty tomatoes like Roma, plum or cherry varieties
- Few dashes of salt
- Cut tomatoes in slices (or in half if cherry). It’s optional to remove the seeds.
- Place slices on parchment paper on shallow trays, without slices touching each other. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place trays on racks and cover with cheesecloth (to protect from bugs.)
- Place in hot sun early in the morning (or on your car dashboard if not a humid day.)
- This should take a few days – bring the trays in at night. Again, if it’s humid, use the oven method instead.
- Preheat oven to lowest setting (ideally 150 degrees F.) Prep tomatoes the same way as above and place on trays.
- Place trays in oven and keep oven door just slightly ajar to help circulate air (or use the convention oven setting if you have one.)
- Check on tomatoes periodically throughout the day – this should take 10 – 12 hours (possibly longer if the tomato slices are large.)
- Store dried tomatoes in sealed container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.