Here’s how to roast chestnuts with an oven instead of an open fire.
- 1 pound chestnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a sharp paring knife, carefully cut an “X” or a long line into the round side of the chestnut halfway through the meat.
- Place chestnuts cut side up on a sheet with a lip. Roast for 15 -18 minutes or until skins start to peel away and chestnuts appear golden.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and then peel. Note: chestnuts will still be fairly warm to the touch but you don’t want them to cool too much or peeling them will become more difficult.
- Use the chestnut meats in salads, rice dishes, baked goods, stuffings or soups.