Easy, healthy, family-friendly freezer meal of kale stuffed lasagna rolls.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chopped kale, stems removed (or you can swap in spinach)
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium pizza sauce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 18 lasagna noodles (NOT no boil)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add kale and sauté for about 5 minutes or until tender. (If using spinach, this will take less time.) Remove from heat, cool and then squeeze liquid out of greens.
- In a large bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, mozzarella and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add kale and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together pizza sauce, tomatoes and basil.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to directions. Drain.
- Using either one 13x9x2-inch pan or two 9×9-inch pans (tin is best if freezing – do not use glass if not baking immediately), spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan(s).
- To assemble rolls, take one noodle and spread out on a flat surface. Scoop about 3 tablespoons of kale cheese mixture and spread evenly on noodle. Roll up noodle and then cut in half crosswise. Place rolls cut side down in pan. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Gently spoon remaining sauce over lasagna rolls in pan.
- If freezing, place sheet of wax paper over pan and then wrap in heavy aluminum foil.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove wax paper and recover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and return to oven uncovered. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Serve warm.