Use up that summer zucchini in this better-for-you nacho recipe with a Greek twist.
- 3 cups diced zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat pita rounds, each cut into 6 wedges
- 4 ounces shredded cheese like Monterey Jack, Colby Jack or Cheddar
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives (about 1/2 cup), save 2 tablespoons olive juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the zucchini, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread onto a baking pan covered with cooking spray. Roast for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- On a baking rack, place the pita wedges. Set the rack on a baking sheet in the oven (right after stirring the zucchini), Bake the pita wedges for 5 minutes.
- Remove zucchini and pita from the oven. Turn on the broiler.
- Dump the zucchini from the baking pan into a bowl and then arrange the pita wedges on the now empty pan. Spoon the roasted zucchini over the pita wedges and then top with the cheese. Broil for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes until the cheese is melted, watching closely so not to burn the pita. Remove from the broiler.
- While zucchini is cooking, make the salsa and olive sauce. For the salsa, mix together the tomato, onion and cilantro in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt and olive juice.
- To assemble, spoon the salsa over the melted cheese pita wedges. Then spoon the olive yogurt over the salsa. Top with the sliced black olives and serve.