Roasted sweet potatoes, spices and coconut milk make a creamy, velvety curry sweet potato soup.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Vegan yogurt (or regular dairy yogurt if you don’t need to make the soup vegan)
- Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Whole wheat pita bread, cut into eighths
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut sweet potatoes and onion into 1/2-inch chunks. Put in a mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon canola oil, salt and pepper; mix until coated.
- Spread onto baking sheet and roast in oven, for 20-25 minutes (until vegetables are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- In a large pot, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minutes, stirring often.
- Add curry, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Cook another minute, stirring often.
- Mix in roasted sweet potatoes, onions and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook other 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add half of soup to high-power blender. Carefully puree until completely smooth. Repeat with second batch.
- Return pureed soup to pot and mix in coconut milk. Cook for another 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, sprinkle of parsley and pita wedges, if desired.