Tomato soup, pinto beans and diced veggies add a nutrition boost to a family favorite meal: Sloppy Joes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium tomato soup
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
- 6 whole wheat or whole grain hamburger buns
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute celery, onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef or turkey, garlic, salt and pepper. Break up beef/turkey with wooden spoon and stir every so often. Cook for about 10 minutes or until cooked through (until meat is no longer pink.)
- Add in soup, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mash about half of the beans. Add all the beans to the beef mixture and stir well. Cook for about another 10 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Serve on hamburger buns and top with lettuce leaves.
Adapted from It’s Yummy to My Tummy’s Tomato Soup Sloppy Joes