This traditional Tuscan peasant soup featuring shrimp, dark leafy greens, beans, tomatoes and day old bread to soak up all the juices.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup leeks, trimmed and sliced (about 2 leeks)
- 1 pound large uncooked shrimp, with peels on
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 6 cups Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 4 cups torn pieces of baguette or Italian bread
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven pot over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic and leeks. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in unpeeled shrimp and smoked paprika. Saute for 5 – 7 minutes until shrimp is cooked, stirring often. Remove shrimp, cool slightly, peel and store in refrigerator.
- Add Swiss chard, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add in wine, cover and cook for 1 hour over low heat.
- Add in shrimp, beans and bread, cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of each bowl.