Perfectly cooked fish – every time – from the slow cooker. Spicy, savory flavors from red onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and sweet potatoes for the best fish tacos!
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces)
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced in rings
- 1 can (12 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup lower-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cod fillets (or any other fish!)
- For serving: Corn tortillas, shredded coleslaw mix, fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
Chop sweet potato into ¾-inch cubes (do not peel sweet potato.)
Spray 5-6 quart slow-cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place sweet potato, peppers, onions in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes and broth over vegetables. Sprinkle with cumin and salt; mix to combine. Cook 4-6 hours on HIGH, or 6-8 hours on LOW.
About 15-20 minutes before serving, remove the lid of slow cooker and nestle fish in vegetables and liquids. White fish and thinner fillets take about 15, oil-rich fish like salmon and/or thicker fillets take about 20 minutes.
Serve with corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt