This easy way to make Slow Cooker Cauliflower Pea Risotto is totally hands-off. No stirring – and cooks only 1 hour in the slow cooker. Cauliflower, sweet peas and cheese make this our favorite comfort food – and the most-requested birthday dinner dish at my house!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 large head cauliflower, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 1 cup frozen peas, set on the counter to thaw during last 30 min of cooking time
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) freshly grated white Cheddar cheese (or Parmesan), divided
- Optional: 4-6 fried or poached eggs
- Turn slow cooker on to High.
- Melt butter in 12-inch non-stick skillet. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Move onions to outside edges of the pan; add rice and cook 3 minutes without stirring to toast rice.
- Move rice to outside edges of the pan; add cauliflower and cook 3 minutes without stirring to brown cauliflower.
- Add wine and cook about 1 1/2 minutes until wine is reduced by half.
- Pour mixture into slow cooker.
- Add warm broth and cover. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour. OR Cook on LOW for 2 hours. During last 10 minutes of cooking time, remove lid and stir in peas and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Serve with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and a poached/fried egg if desired.