Jazz up muffins with naturally sweetened Cherry Chia Jam – or any fruit spread to start the day on a healthy foot. Also perfect for snacks!
- 2 cups frozen sweet cherries
- 2 tablespoons maple syurp
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola or corn oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For cherry jam, place cherries, syrup and 2 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook cherries until thawed and softened, about 5 minutes. Add chia seeds and use an immersion blender to puree cherries and seeds together. (Alternately pour cherries and seed mixture into blender and puree.) Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin papers in 12 muffin cups.
- For muffins, combine flours, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and using a wooden spoon, stir about 10-15 strokes until just blended. (Some flour will not be mixed in.)
- Using a medium scooper, scoop muffin batter into muffin cups until about 2/3-full.
- Place about 2 teaspoons of reserved cherry jam on top of each cup of batter.
- Bake 17-20 minutes until top is just beginning to get golden and springs back when touched lightly.
Cherry jam was adapted from this recipe via @HarmonyAlaCarte