- 6 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 (15 ounce can) low sodium Northern white or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Juice and zest of half of lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pasta water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, toss together broccoli, olive oil, garlic, salt and black pepper. Spread onto baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until broccoli has softened (stirring every 5 minutes or so.)
- While broccoli is cooking, cook pasta according to package. Be sure to save about 2 cups of pasta water when draining. Keep pasta warm until sauce is ready.
- Remove broccoli from oven and add to blender or food processor. Add beans, lemon juice, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and 1 1/4 cups pasta water. Puree well and add in more pasta water as needed to make a smoother sauce.
- Toss half of broccoli sauce with pasta (store remaining pasta sauce in sealed container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and walnuts. Serve warm.