This simple cherry pie recipe gains some sweetness from almond extract and uses canned tart cherries or canned sweet cherries.
- 1 baked pie crust
- 1 (14 oz) can pitted tart red cherries or sweet cherries
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 medium bananas
- Serve with sweetened vanilla whipped cream
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cornstarch and sugar. Pour in cherries and their juices and mix to combine. Heat to boiling. Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cinnamon. When cooled slightly, add almond extract.
- Line pie crust with sliced bananas. Top with cherry mixture
- Chill for about 3 hours (or less if you can’t wait to eat the pie!)
- Served with sweetened vanilla whipped cream.