- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cup pureed butternut squash (sweet potatoes, yams or other winter squash)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in milk, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt with a whisk.
- Whisk constantly until bubbles start to break and mixture thickens. Stir an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix in squash, vanilla and nutmeg. Whisk until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into six (6-ounce) ramekins and cool in refrigerator until set, about 2 hours.