A portable summer salad perfect for the beach or a picnic featuring cherries, tomatoes, basil, mint, fresh mozzarella and bread.
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1.5 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 6 leaves of fresh mint or basil (or a combination), torn
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Dash of salt and black pepper
- 1 cup cubed stale whole wheat crusty bread
- In a medium bowl, mix onion and lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add cherries, tomatoes, mozzarella, mint/basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; mix well. Refrigerate until ready to put into Mason jar.
- Before leaving for outdoor eating event, layer bread in bottom of Mason jar. Top with cherry/tomato mix and place in cooler. Before eating, toss vigorously until well blended.