- 1 package yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk, room temperature or slightly warmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese or light cheddar (I use Cabot)
- 2 ounces (about 32 slices) pepperoni
- In a large mixing bowl, add yeast, water and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
- Add 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, milk, olive oil and salt and mix until a soft dough starts to form. Add remaining 1/4 – 1/2 cup of bread flour, a few tablespoons at a time until dough is not sticky. Knead dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes (or use dough hook in stand mixer.)
- Coat mixing bowl with cooking spray, place dough ball in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and tea towel. Let sit in warm area without drafts for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and roll into 12×16-inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- Sprinkle oregano over dough, top with Parmesan cheese and then mozzarella cheese. Top off with pepperoni slices.
- Starting with long end of dough, roll up and press firmly to avoid air pockets. Pinch the seam and ends to seal shut.
- Place on a baking tray coated with cooking spray. Cover with tea towel and let rise another hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until bread starts to turn golden brown and sounds hollow when you tap it.
- Let cool 15 minutes before slicing.