- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark or light molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, flours, ginger, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together molasses and boiling water. Beat in melted butter. Beat in egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Spread in batter evenly.
- Drizzle peanut butter on top and with a knife, swirl peanut butter into the batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until tests clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- If desired, swirl extra peanut butter on top of each square before serving.