Fresh peaches are a perfect complement to the mellow basil flavor in this easy ice cream that screams summer.
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 ounces 1/3-less fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Scant 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 large peach, peeled, chopped
- Fresh peaches for serving
- Mix 2 tablespoons milk into cornstarch in a small bowl and mix well with a fork.
- Whisk cream cheese and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Combine remaining milk, cream, sugar and corn syrup in large saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat and boil for 4 minutes; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in cornstarch mixture.
- Bring milk mixture back to a boil and cook stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into the cream cheese until smooth. Add basil. Cover with vented plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator until cold, about 2 hours. (Alternately pour mixture in plastic zip-top bag and chill in ice bath.)
- Strain out basil. Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions. During last 3 minutes of time in the ice cream maker, drop in peaches.
- Serve topped with plenty of fresh peaches