A mash-up of fruit cup and the Italian bread salad – the perfect dish for summer parties, picnics and barbecues.
- 6 cups Challah bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 cups sliced fruit (like cherries, strawberries, blackberries, apricots, kiwifruit, mango and peaches)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, torn
- Honey for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, toss Challah bread and olive oil. Spread on a tray with a lip. Bake in oven for 5 – 7 minutes, until toasted (stir a few times.) Remove from oven.
- While bread is toasting, add cut fruit to a large bowl (if you are using berries or kiwifruit, save until you ready to serve.) Add orange juice, orange zest, 1 tablespoon honey, vanilla and salt. Gently toss and let sit on counter for 15 – 30 minutes. (You can mix together a day early – without the berries – and refrigerate. Let fruit come to room temperature before serving.)
- When ready to serve, add berries and/or kiwifruit (if using), toasted Challah bread and mint. Toss very gently until bread is thoroughly soaked.
- Place in serving bowls and drizzle with extra honey (if desired.)