This lentil bacon salad is rich in protein, fiber, iron, folate and flavor.
For the lentils:
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
For the carrots & bacon:
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrots (or baby carrots cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 4 pieces center-cut uncooked bacon
For the pita:
- 2 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- 2 pieces of pita bread
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- 2 romaine heads, chopped
- In a medium sized pan, cook lentils according to package instructions in broth or water.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, toss carrots with one tablespoon olive oil and Cajun seasoning. Spread on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- On another foil lined pan, lay strips of bacon. Put into oven (you can do this the same time as the carrots) and bake until crisp – about 15 – 18 minutes. Remove from oven and blot with paper towels. Rip into bite sized pieces.
- Once carrots and bacon are finished, turn oven to broil setting. Spread gorgonzola over pitas. Place on a pan and put under broiler until cheese is melted and pita is toasted (1 1/2 – 2 minutes – keep your eye on the bread so it doesn’t burn!) Remove from the oven and cool. Cut into small pieces with a pizza cutter.
- To make the dressing, whisk together 1/4 cup canola oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and a dash of salt and pepper. Add to a pourable bottle for serving.
- To assemble the salads, divide the romaine lettuce over four dinner plates. Spoon lentils on top, then carrots, bacon and pita pieces. Serve with the dressing.