The secret ingredient that will keep your pesto a brilliant bright green every time.
- 2 ounces thin deli ham, cut into thin ribbon slices
- 1 (12-13 oz) box tri-colored rotini pasta
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons aged cheese (such as Parmesan; I used Cabot aged Cheddar)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (lightly packed) basil leaves
- 1 cup (lightly packed) carrot top leaves
- In a dry skillet, cook ham until most slices are golden brown and crispy.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving about 1/2 cup pasta water. Keep pasta warm.
- While pasta is cooking, place all remaining ingredients except carrot and basil leaves in food processor; push 5 times.
- Add carrot leaves and basil leaves. Pulse just a few times- about 2-3 times – until pesto is combined and leaves are finely chopped.
- Place pasta in serving bowl and stir in amount of desired pesto; add a little pasta water if pasta seems dry. Top with crispy ham.