- 2 slices center cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/2 of medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded (about 8 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon for a few minutes. Add onions and saute for another 5 minutes or so until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent.
- Add flour and pepper and mix well (the mixture will be dry.) Add liquid from canned sauerkraut and mix to form a roux (about 1 minute.)
- Add sauerkraut and cabbage. Mix well until roux is incorporated throughout mixture.
- Add bay leaves, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook for at least an hour, until all the cabbage is wilted. Stir occasionally during the cooking process.
- Remove bay leaves and salt to taste before serving. Serve with pork, over potatoes or on its own.