Fight off the flu, colds and winter blues with this immunity soup brimming with nutrients from ginger, garlic, lime juice, jalapeno peppers and more!
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, about 1 cup
- 1 inch-square piece of fresh peeled ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 can (14 to 14 ½ ounces) fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Shredded carrots and/or bean sprouts
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
- Cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger and garlic; cook and stir one minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and 3 cups water; turn heat up to high. While water comes to a boil, pinch ground beef into teaspoon-sized free-formed meatballs and place on a plate.
- When soup is boiling, slide in meatballs. Stir well, and simmer 3-4 minutes until meat is cooked through.
- Stir in lime juice and serve with toppings.