Make your own honey nut breakfast cereal with grits! Toasted almonds, milk and sweet honey with whole grain grits are a healthy way to start your day.
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup almond slivers, toasted
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 teaspoons honey
- In a large pot, add milk, water, grits and salt; bring to a boil. Mix in 2 tablespoons honey and butter; reduce to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes or until grits thicken.
- While grits are cooking, toast almonds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring often, for about 8 – 10 minutes or until they are slightly browned.
- Remove grits from heat and mix in almond extract. Ladle into four bowls; topping each with 1 tablespoon of toasted almonds and 1 teaspoon honey.