- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 packages (8 oz) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/3 cup caramelized onions, warmed
- Add green beans to large pot of boiling water. Cook about 7 minutes until tender crisp. Immediately drain in colander and rinse with very cold water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in large non-stick skillet. Saute onion about 6 minutes until tender. Add additional 2 teaspoons oil and heat.
- Stir in mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme; saute 8 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring, then slowly add milk while stirring. Heat to boiling and cook about 3 minutes or until thickened. Add green beans and stir carefully to coat.
- Pour into serving dish (or oven-proof casserole dish if you plan to warm in the oven before serving) and top with caramelized onions.