- 1 pound block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 avocados
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes
- 8 Romaine or red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 16 slices whole grain or sourdough bread
- After draining tofu, wrap in dish towel, put in a bowl and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While tofu is chilling, whisk olive oil and smoked paprika in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons of smoked paprika infused oil (saving 1 tablespoon for grilling) with 3 tablespoons soy sauce, set aside.
- Take tofu out of refrigerator and slice into 24 pieces (about 1/8th-inch thick.) Place tofu slices in baking dish. Pour the paprika oil/soy sauce mix over tofu. Flip the pieces to make sure they are evenly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for at least 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- To make “tofu bacon”, use remaining 1 tablespoon paprika oil in grill pan over medium heat. Grill tofu slices in batches, about 4-5 minutes per side (until tofu is slightly crisp.)
- Once tofu slices are done, start to assemble sandwiches. For each sandwich, place 3 pieces of tofu bacon on bread slice, top with a few slices of avocado, a few slices of tomato, a lettuce leaf and about 2 teaspoons of mustard spread on the other piece of bread. You’ll have enough ingredients for eight sandwiches. You can store tofu bacon in refrigerator for a few days and reheat in microwave.