Grilled Mushroom Cheesesteaks
Grilled mushrooms and grilled onions with a light cheese sauce makes for the ultimate veggie cheesesteak.
- Yield: 4 servings.
For the mushrooms:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 20 ounces baby bella or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the “cheese whiz” sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk (warmed for 1 minute in microwave)
- 4 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat rolls
- In a grill pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and grill for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add soy sauce and black pepper, stir and grill for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
- Place rolls, cut side down on pan and grill for a few minutes until toasted.
- While mushrooms are grilling, make cheese sauce by placing a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add butter and once melted, whisk in flour.
- Slowly pour in warm milk, whisking constantly. Whisk frequently until sauce thickens (about 2 – 3 minutes.)
- Slowly whisk in cheese and whisk until melted. Remove from stove.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide mushrooms evenly among 4 rolls. Pour cheese sauce over mushrooms and serve immediately.