Quick grilled meatballs with a killer sauce and the added nutrition of mushrooms – which also lowers the fat.
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Greek-style plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a large saute pan, add mushrooms and saute about 6 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Cool thoroughly (for a shortcut, cool in the freezer for a few minutes.)
- In a large bowl, combine mint, cumin, salt, pepper, beef and cooled mushrooms. Use your hands to mix gently; shape into 12 oblong patties and thread 3 onto metal skewers. (Optional: Don’t use skewers.)
- 3. Heat a large nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 3 skewers to pan; cook 10 minutes or until done, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.
- 4. While kofta cooks, prepare sauce. Combine 1/2 cup yogurt and remaining ingredients. Serve sauce with kofta.
- Serving Size: 6 servings - 3 patties each