Swap your croutons for grilled pita bread strips with this better-for-you chicken caesar salad recipe.
For the dressing:
- 1 pasteurized egg
- Juice from one small lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
For the salad:
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 pieces of Toufayan Pita Bread (I used whole wheat and multigrain)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce, cut in half lengthwise
- Salt & pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
- For the dressing, add pasteurized egg, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce in a food processor or blender. Blend well and while blender continues to run, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon canola oil until dressing is well combined. Set aside.
- Heat your grill to medium-high (or place grill pan over medium-high heat.) Cut garlic clove in half and rub cut ends over each piece of pita bread. Brush pita bread with olive oil and place oil side down on grill. Brush other sides with oil. Grill each pita for 1 – 2 minutes (until pita is slightly charred but not burnt) and flip over and grill for another minute or so. Remove from grill and cool slightly. Cut into strips.
- Place Romaine halves on grill, cut-side down and grill about 2 minutes or until slightly charred. Remove from grill and put aside.
- Place chicken breasts in plastic bag and pound with mallet or heavy spoon until each piece is of even thickness.
- Place each breast on the grill and brush with Caesar dressing (Warning: do not put brush back in dressing after touching raw chicken!) Grill for about 5 -6 minutes per side or until meat thermometer reads 165° Fahrenheit. Remove chicken from grill and cool slightly. Cut into strips.
- When ready to serve, divide pita strips, lettuce, chicken and avocado among four dinner plates or large bowls. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.