Everything is better with ‘everything bagel’ seasoning. This bubble bread is like homemade bagels all stuck together: little rolls are chewy and crusty on the outside from the egg wash and soft on the inside.
Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dry onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dry garlic flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk (I use 2% milk)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Mix together all the Everything Bagel Seasoning ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of flour and the yeast; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat and stir milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt, just till warm (110-120 degrees F). Add milk mixture to dry mixture. Whisk for 1 minute. Scrape down sides and whisk for about 120 strokes (or use an electric mixer.) Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (5 minutes). Shape dough into a ball and place back in your mixing bowl (after it’s been coated well with nonstick cooking spray.) Flip dough to coat the top of dough with cooking spray. Cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place till nearly double in size (about 1 hour.) See note below.
- Punch dough down. Divide the dough (using a serrated knife) into 16-20 (or more if desired) dough pieces of relatively the same size. Roughly shape them into balls and place on 1-2 parchment-paper-lined baking sheets. Cover with a towel, let rise in a warm place 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour 8 cups of water into a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon each of baking soda, salt and sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- After dough balls have risen for 30 minutes, gently place (using a kitchen spider or slotted spoon) 2-4 dough balls into simmering water and let cook for 1 minute; flip and cook 30 seconds. Remove balls and place in a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and dusted with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Whisk the egg and brush every crevice of the dough balls with the egg wash. Sprinkle with remaining Everything Bagel Seasoning to taste.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 35 minutes until top begins to brown. Serve with cream cheese and additional Everything Bagel Seasoning.
For a warm place to raise your bread, turn on your oven to the lowest temp. Once the oven reaches 100-degrees F, turn the oven off. Keep the oven door open a few minutes for the oven temp to lower a few degrees. The put the dough – covered with a towel – inside and close the oven door.