Healthy fish sticks for Fish Fridays or any day you want big Crunchy Cornmeal Crusted Fish Sticks. Plus they’re kid-approved. Easy hand-breading method doesn’t involve messy fingers. Don’t skip the Homemade Tarter Sauce.
- 1 tablespoon 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into 20 (1-inch) strips
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
Healthy Homemade Tarter Sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles
- Combine milk and eggs in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add fish, and toss gently to coat. Place panko, cornmeal, seasoned salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large zip-top bag. Add fish to panko mixture; seal bag. Shake bag gently to coat fish.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of fish; cook 4 minutes or until done, turning occasionally to brown all sides. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining fish.
- For Homemade Tarter Sauce, combine yogurt, pickles, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Serve sauce with fish.