- 1 cup dried pinto or navy beans, pre-soaked for faster cooking
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jar (15 oz) salsa
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Brown meat with onion in a large skillet; drain fat.
- Place dried beans, meat mixture, 1 cup water and all other ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours for pre-soaked pinto beans (3-4 hours for navy beans), 6-7 hours for dried pinto beans (4-5 hours for navy beans) that have not been pre-soaked.
- ON THE STOVE WITHOUT A SLOW COOKER: Follow instructions above except cook on the stove on medium-low heat for 2-3 hours for pre-soaked beans.