This is lick-the-spoon-and-pot-out-delicious and tastes exactly like ‘homemade’ pudding with the pure flavors of deep, dark chocolate, vanilla, and creamy milk.
- Pudding Mix
- 2 3/4 cups powdered milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cocoa (such as Hershey’s Cocoa Unsweetened)
- 5 crushed candy canes
- TO MAKE PUDDING
- 1 cup milk mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup of pudding mix blended with 1/2 cup water
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 crushed candy cane for garnish
- Blend all ingredients and store in airtight container, or divide into 2 pint sized glass jars and 1 half-pint glass jar. Top with additional crushed candy canes. (Or for the look in this photo, leave the cocoa out of the mix and only add cocoa to 3/4 cup of the vanilla mix; then place 3/4 cup vanilla mix on bottom of jar, top with crushed candy canes and top with 3/4 vanilla mix mixed with 1/4 cup cocoa.)
DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING PUDDING:
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk/water mixture until hot but not boiling; whisk in pudding mix blended with water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber scraper, until mixture just boils. Immediately remove from heat. Scoop out 1/3 cup of hot pudding mixture and slowly pour into egg, whisking constantly. Pour egg mixture back into hot pudding mixture and heat until boiling and boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into 4 or 5 serving dishes and top with crushed candy cane.