Simpler than homemade chicken nuggets, these chicken drummies are kid friendly with killer honey mustard dipping sauce adults will love.
- 10 chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds) skinned using tip described below
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mustard (Dijon, yellow or whatever you have)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat (not fat-free) mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To skin chicken, gently slip your finger between skin and chicken meat to loosen skin; using a pair of kitchen scissors, make 1 cut from meaty end about 2-3 inches down (not quite to bone end – leaving about 1 inch of skin still on the bone). Then cut around bone end to remove skin. (This process is much easier than removing all the skin on the bottom of the bone.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 1 1/2 teaspoon honey and salt. Place panko in a shallow dish. Dip chicken, one piece at a time, into buttermilk mixture; dredge in panko.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, mix together 1/4 cup honey and remaining sauce ingredient. Serve with chicken.