- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup Irish lager beer
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounces light Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 ounces Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Accompaniments: Fennel (blanched for 1.5 minutes in boiling water,) pears, crusty bread, radishes, cooked potatoes
- In a small bowl, mix together water and cornstarch with a fork.
- In saucepan, add cornstarch mixture and beer; whisk until smooth. Add garlic and bay leaves. Place on heat and bring to simmer. Continue whisking for 1 minute until thick. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese and whisk just until cheese is melted and smooth. Discard bay leaf and transfer mixture to fondue pot or place saucepan on warming tray. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Serve with accompaniments.