- 4 medium pears, cored and finely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the pears, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large baking dish, mix together pears, brown sugar, butter, caradmom and nutmeg. Roast for 40 minutes or until pears are soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven, set aside.
- For the pancakes, in a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not overmix.)
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter into skillet. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of pears on top of batter.
- Cook until little bubbles on edges start to break, flip and cook other side until golden brown.
- Serve pancakes with remaining roasted pears and honey or maple syrup.