Barley is one of the quickest-cooking grains, plus it’s high in protein and fiber – and here it’s so satisfying in Mediterranean Barley Grain Bowls with Caesar Kale.
- 1 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 4 cups thinly sliced kale leaves with stems (about 3–4 large leaves)
- 1/2 cup Marie’s Market Reserve Smoked Black Pepper Caesar Dressing, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 4–5 mini sweet peppers, sliced into rings
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
- Cook barley according to package directions. Then divide the barley among four bowls. Top each bowl of barley with 1 tablespoon of dressing, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of dressing. Using your hands squeeze and rub the kale to ‘massage’ it into the kale. Let set for at least 5 minutes for the kale to soften and become less-tough.
- Divide the kale evenly among the four bowls of barley, placing it in one ‘section’ of the bowl.
- Divide the chickpeas, cheese, and mini peppers among the bowls placing them each in a separate ‘section’ of the bowl.
- Drizzle the bowls with the remaining 1 tablespoon of dressing, plus more dressing if desired.