Move over Velveeta, here’s a healthier version of cheese sauce for your asparagus. This is essentially a light version of hollandaise sauce – easy to make!
- 1 pound asparagus, washed, trimmed
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cooked, chopped bacon for serving
- Place about 15-20 stalks of asparagus on a glass plate and drizzle with about 1/4 cup water. Cover with wax paper or microwave-safe plate-topper and microwave about 1 minute on full power; turn spears and microwave for another minute until tender crisp. Repeat with remaining asparagus and keep asparagus warm – or at room temperature.
- Whisk yogurt, rice wine vinegar, egg yolks, mustard, salt, pepper together in top pan of double boiler or heat-proof bowl. Place pan/bowl over simmering water. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted and serve immediately over asparagus, topping with bacon if desired.