15-Minute Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya made with whole grain oatmeal.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 13 oz package turkey (or chicken) smoked sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red (or green) bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I used this recipe from @HealthyAperature for slow cooker Roasted Chicken)
- 2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- Heat oil in large soup pot or dutch oven; add sausage, onion, bell pepper and cook undisturbed until a few pieces of sausage turn golden. Then stir occasionally until onion are translucent, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute; then add chicken, oats, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt & pepper and cook another minute.
- Stir in broth and tomato sauce. Cook 7-8 minutes until oats are tender.