So, since posting this Roasted Avocado + Salmon Taco Salad a few weeks back, I’ve definitely been eating more salads and fish (thank you Trader Joe’s Smoked Trout) at home.
And I promised in that last post that I’d have another seafood + salad recipe for you soon and that day has arrived.
Salmon Caesar Salad for the win.
Now, I got give props to my sister-in-law, Anne. She was assigned to bring the salad to our Christmas Dinner (she and my husband are one of 11 so our holidays dinners are always
crazy crowded festive) and she went with a simple classic Caesar salad.
I hate to call it simple because it was delicious – from the shaved Parmesan to the homemade Caesar dressing – for which I promptly demanded the recipe.
While I love me some Caesar salad when I’m out to eat, I don’t I’ve ever made it from scratch at home. Mainly because I couldn’t be bothered with making the dressing, which calls for raw eggs and anchovies.Salmon Caesar Salad (w. anchovy-free dressing recipe) via @tspbasil Click To Tweet
Turns out there are solutions to both ingredients:
- Pasteurized eggs are perfect for this recipe as in Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs (Disclosure: Safe Eggs are a long time sponsor of Blog Brulee and past sponsor of The Recipe ReDux)
- Anchovy paste is an option instead of canned anchovies, or you can leave them out all together and still have a flavorful dressing (like the recipe below.)
A few other Caesar dressing pointers with my S-I-L’s version:
- Use equal parts canola and olive oil
- Add Worcestershire sauce for the savory flavor (if not using anchovies)
- Add Tabasco for a bit of heat
- Mix in grated Parmesan once dressing is consistency of mayonnaise
What about you – are you a Caesar salad fan? Yes or no to the anchovies?