Easy make-ahead ramen noodles in a jar are a healthy and super-filling lunch solution – that’s way fresher than those instant noodles in a cup.
This month’s theme for The Recipe ReDux, we challenged bloggers to meet the “What should I pack for lunch?” question head-on with creative ideas.
For me, the answer was soup! And noodles. But it’s tricky to pack.
Then I thought of making a homemade version of those packaged cups of noodles.
Using a mason jar, I added:
- Ramen noodles from a package
- Homemade chicken broth
- Sesame seeds
- Squirt of Sriracha
…and let it set overnight in the fridge. At lunchtime, I simply added hot water like I used to do to those store-bought cups of instant noodles …when I worked in a real office, and had coworkers who did the same.
Isn’t that a great idea?
Except, I discovered that another smarter person already thought of it…two years ago. That would be the brilliant Kenji Alt-Lopez who posted his DIY Instant Noodles on his awesome site SeriousEats. Luckily, his version is quite a bit different from mine and uses some fancy ingredients I don’t usually have on hand. And my Noodle Soup in a Jar is all about the convenience – especially when I can prep four lunches at a time.
Here’s how I made my Noodle Soup in a Jar budget-friendly, quick and healthy…without mushy noodles:
- Dried ramen noodles (the inexpensive Maruchan-brand package is fine.) But ditch the sodium-bomb flavor pack that comes with the noodles.
- Frozen vegetables + whatever protein is on-hand: Cooked chicken, shrimp, tofu, even canned tuna was delish
- Boxed or homemade chicken broth – but only 1/2 cup to avoid mushy noodles – and potential spillage on the way to work/school.
- Simple spices – DON’T forget the toasted seasame seeds. They totally make the soup and add great nutrition.
- If you need a little more saltiness, pack some reduced-sodium soy sauce packetsA fresher lunch than instant noodles in a cup: Noodle Soup in a Jar via @TspCurry #TheRecipeReDux Click To Tweet
My kids’ school does allow glass mason jars – and some eco-conscious moms are packing lunches in jars. My kids loved these soups.
And the bonus: No pots to wash! This has come in very handy as I’m embarking on a little DIY kitchen remodel….more to come. (:
What are your creative packed lunch ideas? Please share!If you need more inspiration, check out all of our ReDuxers ‘what to pack for lunch’ lunches below: