Oatmeal cookie-like crust spread with Wild Blueberry Sauce and Nutella® ~ by Serena Ball, MS, RD
Disclosure: Wild Blueberry Association of North America compensated me to write about their Feed Your Wild Side Mother’s Day Giveaway. My thoughts and opinions are my own.
When my sisters and I were kids, my Mom’s morning menu read like this:
Tuesday – Cream of Wheat
Wednesday – Warm rice topped with milk, raisins, sugar and cinnamon
Thursday – Wheat berry hot cereal
Friday – Cheerios with a “special” sugar-cereal sprinkled on top
Mom was not a dietitian, but she was wise to the fact that her menu items were healthy, filling and cheap.
Like mother, like daughter, the morning menu for my four kids usually includes a rotation of just four items:
Cheesy scrambled eggs, overnight oatmeal, cold Bacon & Egg Breakfast Muffins, or Cheerios with a “sprinkle” cereal – in some random rotation – since I’m not quite as organized as Mom.
So imagine the shock, disbelief and sheer delight when my kids asked their usual, “What’s for breakfast?” And I responded: “Wild Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Pizza with Nutella® and Greek yogurt creamy topping.” After the shock wore off, there were smiles and giggles all around.
And then a question: “Mom, have you gone wild?”
OK, actually, they said, “Mom have you gone crazy?” but since theme of the Wild Blueberries upcoming Mother’s Day giveaway is called “Feed Her Wild Side”, I’m taking some creative liberty.
This Breakfast Pizza is certainly wildly good, though – I mean so, so good! And surprisingly easy and fast too. I’ve been seeing breakfast pizzas around the web lately but the typical “serves 1” isn’t practical for my family; plus I wanted to pack in a bit more protein to get my kids past morning recess without hunger. So I:
- Added almonds for protein and fiber – PLUS almond extract for a divine taste combo with Nutella®
- Added just a bit of sugar to the dough for tenderness and sweetness
- Added super-nutritious, flavor-packed Wild Blueberries to the dough for kid-appeal; and as I mentioned in the recipe for my Wild Blueberry Oatmeal Waffles these Wild Blueberries are the perfect small size for baking (when you don’t want blueberry juice squishing out all over and sticking to the pan.)
- Tested it a few times to find the right size of dough: More dough is just too tricky (and sticky) to work with; so ‘serves 6’ is perfect.
So, here’s the scoop on the “Feed Her Wild Side” Wild Blueberries Giveaway for Mothers Day:
- The contest starts Monday, April 21
- Enter via the Wild Blueberries Facebook page to win one a weekly prizes for mom (or yourself!):
- A classic blue Schwinn Beach Cruiser Bike, blue sapphire necklace or Edgecomb Pottery from Maine – the state where Wild Blueberries are grown
- Grand prize of $1,000
- All entries get a FREE Feed Her Wild Side Mothers Day Recipe Book featuring some favorite Recipe ReDux bloggers (until May 9th.)
This Breakfast Pizza would totally make mom’s Mother’s Day Brunch. It can be made the night before and served for brunch (keep sauces separate until 1-2 hours before serving.) Or if you are vying for Mom-Of-The-Year, it could actually be made on a school morning (with a few extra minutes) by serving just the Wild Blueberry Pizza crust schmeared with Nutella®.
Do you ever eat cold pizza (cheese or fruit) for breakfast?